Sunday, June 4, 2017

Mattel Robin: Arkham City Legacy


In the Arkham City game, Tim Drake is Robin, and I have to say his costume is my favourite version of Robin, ever. Seems more modernized, with duller reds that make it seemed both toned down but also gives Robin a less adolescent teen look and more of an adult one. Does he need both a mask AND a hood? I don't know, but it looks great. I also appreciate that on top of his acrobatic fighting in the game, his retractable metal staff with unfolding bullet shield makes him not just a less equipped version of Batman. Robin isn't playable in the main game, but he is a lot of fun in the DLC for Arkham City Harley Quinn's Revenge. 

This figure is like the other Legacy figures. This one has more paint details than Batman and Catwoman. His leg articulation is great, and I loved how they made his cape a soft plastic that rotated with the head. The hood is glued onto the head, so not removable, but it still gives him a good look.
Like other Legacy figures, he came with no accessories. That said, I liked the look of this figure so much, I couldn't help but let him borrow Arkham Knight Robin's staff while also drilling a hole into the punching hand in order for him to hold it.



Sculpt/Paint: 4/10 (+1 for good design!) Like the other two, minimal application of paint and no shading. The eyes turned out better than most; they look in one direction! Otherwise, it is pretty accurate in details to his appearance in the game. I really appreciate that he isn't a bulky copy of Batman as some other figures are, but rather slim and acrobatic looking, as he should.

Articulation: 5/10 20 points of articulation. This Robin is pretty fun to pose. I'm not sure why they didn't give him an ab crunch. Even a little bit wouldn't helped a lot more. As it is though, you can get him into some good poses. and his hip joints have a good range of motion.

Price/Availability: 6/10 Not so much on amazon, but eBay has a fairly reasonable marked up price of this figure for anywhere from 30-40 CAD. It's pretty close.

Accessories: 0/10 Zip. Nada.

Verdict: 15/40 Now even though his rating is the same as Batman and Catwomans, it is my favourite of the Legacy Line. I didn't both getting Two face, Joker, Harley or Nightwing for this line because they either had pretty hideous face sculpts or for my collecting, didn't fill any gaps I felt I had.
Maybe it's time to bring in a bonus point type add-on for Fun factor!

Pretty clean paint lines, even if it was minimal


Pretty good balance!


Split kick!

You call that the splits? This is the splits!

Dude, that's my pose!

This is the staff he should've come with


Vault!


Adding an accessory to a figure
just makes the posing options exponentially
better!

High bo strike!

I could do a million more photos with
sweet staff poses, but there is only so
much time in a day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment