Thursday, February 9, 2023

McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse Titan Joker - Arkham Asylum


 The more I think about the first couple of Arkham games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, the more I think it's just a giant warning message about going straight to human drug trials. Most of the boss fights in Arkham Asylum directly involve the use of the Titan formula, kind of an untested mix between Bane's strengthening venom and poison ivy's control poison. The result is a crazy hypergrowth that creates insane henchmen. Joker, being the chaotic evil person he is, tries it on himself as a last resort to take down Batman, and becomes Titan Joker, a massive, clawed, mohawk-touting monster who also managed to grow like 10 feet tall. 

Not everyone loved the Arkham Asylum boss fight, though to be fair many of the boss fights were pretty simple in their attack and dodging patterns. I just thought it was funny to introduce this bane-ish Joker, then they manage to make it near tragic after-effect for the rest of the next game. This Joker is an absolute beast of a figure, and being a Megafig it doesn't come with anything but a card. No stand is going to hold this thing, are you kidding. It is EXTREMELY top-heavy, and I like the paint but the finish is so extremely glossy, it reflects a bit too much. I love the detail, but some joints are useless, like the diaphragm. I can't move mine at all. The elbow double joints are appreciated, but the plastic they used for them is really weak. Mine snapped off with just a couple of careful turns. They of course ratchet everything, which I get in practice since it makes it so big limbs don't just flop, but it was a bit too much. It grabs the joints to the point where moving it leads to weakening. I had to boil and pop the pin and rebuild the joint, and now am not too sure I'll be able to move it much at the elbow again unless I want to risk the same problem. 

Overall, it's a decent figure and I'm glad I got one that isn't a crazy aftermarket price like the original DC collectibles one. That one is like 300+ dollars everywhere I look, so it is nice this was made. 

Sculpt/paint: 3/3 Really well-done paint work here, lots of the bright colours from his appearance in the game, and of course McFarlane did a great job of the sculpting. My only nitpick is the finish is way too glossy for my taste. 

Articulation: 2/3 This should be higher, but with a diaphragm that doesn't work and elbow joints you can't bend without breaking (and the knees also seem dodgy) I want to give it what it appears to have, but can't since you can't move those. It does have all the joints of a regular size 7" scale figure though, which is quite cool. 

Accessories: 1/1 It doesn't come with anything aside from the card, but it really doesn't need to. If I had a wish though, maybe the three-line batclaw launcher would be cool? You could recreate the scenes where Batman drags him down to do some damage! 

Fun Factor: 1/3 It looks great, but the top-heavy balance, bad joints, and size of it make it a lot harder to enjoy for me personally. This would've been 2 had the joints not been crappy I think. 


Verdict: 7/10 Limited Really nice to have a Titan joker that isn't a crazy price from over 10 years ago, but they could've built it a bit better. 

Ok maybe more like 12 feet in comparison

Pretty good details! Maybe even more
texture here than the game

I like the spines but because they are a soft
rubber they were so bent in the package
one broke off already




The ANGUISH! 


This guy takes up so much space my lights were constantly in shot before editing

Pretty impressed he could hold up the figure with his arm extended

I love that in the game Batman's finishing move is to
coat his gloves with EXPLOSIVE GEL. Then punch him. 
It's very maximal on his part. 

The Punch

Fin


No comments:

Post a Comment