Sunday, February 5, 2023

Mafex Medicom Bane - The Dark Knight Rises

I'm a big fan of things Batman in general, and The Dark Knight trilogy is one of my favourite live-action Batman films (yes, I did also very much enjoy The Batman as well). The first film was great, the second was even better, and the third was...ok. Despite wanting to collect this Bane figure played by the very talented Tom Hardy in the film, this was more for the completionist's sake than my love for how they wrote Bane. Overlooking the interesting voice he uses for the film, this Bane is far less imposing and threatening than your average venom-roided Bane. He is portrayed as a clever villain, which fits his character, but he just wasn't that interesting to watch in Nolan's Batman universe. 

That said, Mafex absolutely nailed this figure's rendition. His articulation is great, the digital face printing and paint details are very accurate, and he comes with pieces to swap out his jacket for bare arms. I can't think of any way they could improve the figure honestly. 


Sculpt/Paint: 3/3 Absolutely perfect. Since his face is covered by the mask, the illusion of realism provided by digital face printing isn't messed around with. All the colours are spot-on and the textures and attention to detail are great. 

Articulation (30+ points): 3/3  He's got a great range of movement, drop-down hinged hips (I miss those in newer import figures), and very good ankle swivels and diaphragm joints. Again, I don't see how they could have go this better. 

Accessories: 1/1  He comes with a bunch of swappable hand parts, removable jacket, bare arms to swap in, and two broken Batman mask pieces, which is a nice touch. 

Fun Factor: 2/3 While I absolutely love posing this guy, and he does have great balance, he loses a point just because he isn't my favourite character in the Nolan trilogy, and in fact is my least favourite. 

Verdict: 9/10 Except for my personal dislike of the character, this is fantastic, and I won't even be bothering getting any of the newly teased McFarlane releases of these figures. Mafex beats them every time (except on price I guess!). 


He's never happy, is he?

Nice job on the jacket, even if the material
is a bit stiff.

His accessories (if a bit blurry): hands, extra arms, jacket
and the two broken Batman masks. 

Despite the drop-down hips, the baggier 
crotch area gets in the way of splits/kicks



Practicing his Bat-break knee!

"I'm the Batman now!" 

Alas poor Batman, I knew him well




The lift....

....Broke back Batman achieved! 

"Now who's fancy BATMAN?!"



Bane waiting on his plane


A couple of attempts at 
getting his 'suspender holding' pose.
Kinda tricky even with the high mobility
of a Mafex figure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment