Saturday, July 29, 2017

DC Icons - Batman (Last Rites)



Two things to talk about here before the figure:
1) DC Icons: Many of you who collect DC Collectibles are probably familiar with the pros and cons of the DC Icons line. The pros being really good articulation and likeness to the comic "icon" version they represent. The cons being mostly out of scale for other figures as well as some cancellations and slow release dates. Personally, I quite enjoy the line, despite it's flaws. I find I'm still able to have fun posing the figures and given that I have many figures that usually aren't in scale with Marvel Legends, it doesn't bother me. I'm a bit disappointed they are stopping the line soon and producing the new Essentials line. I'm definitely not going to rebuy all the figures it has taken me nearly a year to collect.

2) Last Rites: This was a Pre-New 52 storyline of the Bat Family that dealt with Batman's disappearance during the Final Crisis event. It leads to several other storylines, including the Battle for the Cowl, in which there is a Batman imposter, and Tim Drake temporarily assumes the mantle of Batman, and so does Grayson. I haven't read it, but it seems like this Last Rites figure could be either Jason Todd, Tim Drake, or maybe Dick Grayson as Batman. I could be wrong though!

Back to the figure! Despite the size, I really like this figure. It's the first figure I bought at the first Comic con I attended, so it has a special place. He has some decent paint and gloss, really good articulation, some good accessories and is just an overall well rounded figure! I am more of a fan of the Black and Grey look for Batman, but this one works for me. The cape doesn't limit things, I personally find the ab articulation works well on my figure and he just looks good!



Scultp&Paint: 7/10 The paint is pretty well done! They don't seem to do much for shading the unmasked part of the face. They sculpted some wrinkles, well done utility belt, gloves and boots. I like the rippled muscle look. Some collectors complained he doesn't look bulky enough, but if he is in fact someone other than Bruce Wayne under the cowl, then perhaps it is meant to be?

Articulation: 8/10 26 points. Double jointed elbows and knees, swivel and hinge wrists, ankle rockers and an interesting articulation where there is a hinge at the waist, and a diaphragm ball joint/twist at the body. In theory, this is supposed to allow the Icon figures to bend down and backwards further. In reality, it only works about half the time. With bulkier upper bodies, some figures don't get a lot of range out of the upper diaphragm joint.

Price/Availability: 7/10 I have still been able to find him at most online stores, though not many actual stores since he was in the first wave of DC icons released. His price is pretty much the same MRSP as he began with!

Accessories: 3/5 Not bad! I like that he came with both punching hands and batarang holding hands. He also came with not one, but two batarangs! The last accessory is a bit of a mix bad. Grapple shot type thing is neat, but it's a bit odd. The ball at the end stops the grapple from falling out of the device but...I feel they probably didn't need to use it. It looks a bit out of place. That said, I did make good use of it! See photos below for more details.

Fun Factor: 5/5 I LOVE how dynamic this Batman is. I have spent countless moments successfully balancing him in my favourite karate poses and swinging from his grapple accessory. Really great figure in my mind.

Verdict: 30/40 Great figure! I enjoy him a lot, and I got him with the firm idea I wanted the whole Justice League in all their glory! I only have one member left, then after one or two more, I'm pretty much done the collecting I want for the line.

Not bad! Could've added some shading to the flesh though



Nice set of accessories!
Really good kick! he can also do
complete splits


One Batarang...

And two for the win! 

This is my new Bat symbol



Swoops down

Grapples in

Grapples up!

Ways you can use the Grappler accessory:

#1 Ball flail weapon!

#2 Extra Belt accessory!

#3 Limbo rope! He can go VERY low!

A couple of extra poses for good measure



1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty cool! I find the black/blue issue interesting. Way back in the early days of comics they needed to use blue as the "shading" colour for black and so that's why Batman's cape and cowl (and Superman's hair!) were black and blue and eventually it went from "black with blue highlights" to "blue with black highlights." Apparently the same thing happened with Spider-Man's costume.

    ReplyDelete