Thursday, March 23, 2023

Mafex Medicom Superman - Batman Hush

 



Superman in Batman Hush plays in another bizarre event in the comics. Amongst all of Batman's rogue gallery, all of whom are acting strangely, Superman adds to the list. Poison Ivy has managed to use her pheromonal control and is manipulating Superman into killing Batman. Batman notices that Superman is subtly resisting Ivy's control, and after a classic Batman v. Superman fight, triggers him into wrestling control back. He gets Catwoman to drop Lois off a building. Jeez. Anyway, so he breaks free from Ivy's control to save her, so good thing that worked! 

I only own a few Superman figures, but this is my favourite. It has all the classic look with lots of poseability, a wired cloth cape, and a few different head sculpts. The proportions are nice, and the paint is really clean. 

Sculp & Paint: 3/3 Just perfect, dead on. His hair has the curls, the suit is clean and classic, the engineering includes those impressive muscles while also allowing good engineering and sculpting to show off a good form with nice comic proportions. 

Articulation: 3/3 The figure is fully articulated here with all the double joints in the legs and arms, while also giving a nice range of motion for the head/neck and diaphragm, which is often what sets apart an import figure from a domestic figure. The wire cape really helps here too! 

Accessories: 1/1  The figure comes with a decent amount of good stuff: lots of extra hands, and a couple of extra heads, as well as the stand and a cool piece from the comics: ivy's mind-controlling vines for the neck and arms. As a nice bonus, it comes with a green kryptonite ring holding hand for Batman! This is for the original version so it looks a bit off on my figure but still! Nice! 

Fun Factor: 2/3 Don't get me wrong, the figure is great, good posing and all that, but Superman has never been a favourite of mine. I felt like I almost needed this one because it was my ideal picture of Superman (minus a smiling face, which feels like they don't do that with Superman figures much anymore?!?). That said, Superman just has never been a fascinating character for me. He's nigh invincible except for some green rock that someone everyone has a small piece of to help render him temporarily useless. He doesn't have a very interesting psychology like Batman does, and the world to him is black and white with no way he can do wrong. Just less exciting to read about, so even though that may not be fair given a figure, it's what I see when I look at a Superman figure (in general). I'm very willing to read any recommendations people have for a good, interesting Superman story though, because let's be fair, most of my comics and stories in DC have been about Batman or Bat family members like Nightwing. 

Verdict: 9/10 Worthy I honestly feel he's my perfect Superman at this scale for my shelf. Except for the way I associate stories with him, he's really great. He was pretty hard to find at a reasonable price though, since it seems these Hush figures are either REALLY expensive and are in pre-order limbo, or suddenly are sold out in seconds. Fingers crossed I can get Nightwing, Poison Ivy and Huntress without a hitch. 

Pretty good silhouette! 

Love the capes that Mafex makes

A good batch of accessories



Poison ivy'ed!

BOOM, plot armor



Good balance here



Boy scout flyin' high!


Quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the 
DC Icons superman, and now that I see
them side by side, the paint on the Icons' face
makes him look SUPER old!


No comments:

Post a Comment