Thursday, December 16, 2021

McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse Superman - Dark Knights: Death Metal


In the Dark Knights: Death Metal storyline, Perpetua is freed from her prison and takes over the Multiverse. Many DC heroes are locked up in New Apokolips, Superman being one of them. As Wonderwoman comes to rescue him, she finds him changed. The Dark Father has imprisoned him to power the sun, whilst using the Anti-Life equation to weaken him. Normally Superman is resistant, but with a constant drain on his powers, while being used as a human battery, he is vulnerable. It isn't explained very well, but it seems he has absorbed or taken over by the Anti-Life equation, making his arm undergo some metamorphosis. 

This changed version of Superman only lasts for the comic run, at which point the multiverse is restarted, kicking off the ending and the Future State storyline. I do like his design and rocker aesthetic that goes well with Death Metal Batman and Wonder Woman. I do think that because of some missed paint areas and a head that is perhaps too unSuperman looking, he is the weakest figure in the Dark Father set. It's a mix of just off painting and sculpting with it kind of not being impressive enough on its own. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have bought this. My main reason is I wanted 3 out of 4 of the wave and figured one more would allow me to build the figure, which, might as well if you only need another couple of pieces to complete! 


Sculpt/Paint: 2/3 Nothing is like...horrendous here, but it's not great. The straps on his arms have no shading, neither does his arm. I don't know if the S on his fist is supposed to be there, or painted, but it bugs me that it isn't. The biggest two issues here for me are that the boots have SO much good texture and straps and belt buckles but none of it is painted. C'mon McFarlane! The face sculpt I'm also not super plussed with. I get that he is a metal-looking long-haired Superman who's been enslaved, but why is his mouth so high up on his face? 

Articulation: 3/3  (31 points)He does do pretty well in the articulation department. He has a real diaphragm cut and ball-jointed waist that allows some decent attitude. The arms move fairly well and freely, and for once the bottom of the boots both hid the ugly ankle joints AND actually move decently enough. He even has a hip swivels, which ad some appeal to posing the figure. 

Accessories: 1/1 He comes with enough! Stand and card as usual (though the card doesn't really give any of the backstory I was looking for for this entry). He also comes with the arms of the Dark Father build a figure and another set of hands! How about that. I know they don't keep this up, but basically, every DC superhero that is a Batman, Superman or Wonderwoman should ALWAYS have punching hands. Just sayin'

Fun Factor: 1/3 I definitely don't mind the aesthetic...but there's just...something that tells me I'm not going to be playing with this one a lot. It's definitely what this scale is for, which is complete subjectivity. He's just not as epic as some of the others in this wave or the Dark Knights Metal Universe. 

Verdict: 7/10 Limited. I don't usually regret buying a figure, but this is kinda borderline. I didn't initially want it, and really only bought it for the build a figure. That said it does work with the others in the display. Hmm...


I don't like this face...eyes are painted really
tiny, jaw and the mouth line seems odd.

View from the back

Accessories! Minus the Dark Father arms

The poses I put him in remind me more of a 
superman martial artist than Superman




Rock on! 



His alternate hands actually fit the guitar
from the Death Metal Batman really well




No comments:

Post a Comment