Sunday, February 21, 2021

McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse Red Hood - DC Rebirth (Two Pack)


 I guess I just couldn't wait for the single release because I bought the two-pack of Nightwing (in red) and Red Hood as soon as the Cmd.ca store released it! I wasn't expecting to find or want this one, given I was already pretty pleased with my holy grail figure Red Hood from the Arkham Knight game and the DC Essentials one that really hit the spot. This has just proven to me that dual-wielding pistol characters with sweet helmets will always be a want! 

For anyone that isn't familiar, Red Hood is the anti-hero persona AKA Jason Todd, the second-ever Robin in comics. See my Red Hod review here to read up on his character. 

This is an amazing version of Red Hood. Definitely bulkier on top than the DC Essentials version, and with nicer looking pistols. His head and the blackline to define the helmets seams looks really good. The pistols are a nice scale for the figure, and the posing options are good. The paint is pretty clean although I will say they could've maybe added some wash to his jacket and made his leg braces stand out a bit more. I like that there is more just solid black for the torso to help the red logo stand out more here. 


Sculpt/Paint: 2/3 Very solid paint job here, clean and crisp and nice attention to certain details in the helmet and some silver details throughout. The jacket is a nice town and scuplt, as are the rest of the armor pieces and clothing. One thing I think they could've done is add some silver paint to his shin guards and maybe given the jacket a brown wash to make it less plastic-looking. I will probably do this myself since McFarlane seems to be skimping on paint lately. 

Articulation: 2/3 Very good range with this figure. I'm especially impressed with how they did the jacket. Allows full horizontal movement of the arms. No hip-swiveling but decent range in the hips and double-jointed elbows/wrists/ankles and knees. The toe hinge kinda ruins things on these figures because they would be pretty stable except for when that front part gives out and throws them forward. 

Accessories: 1/1 He comes with his guns, a nice size for them with just a coat of silver paint. I'll probably add a wash and grip details later to this. I LOVE that they store in his holsters super well. Every company that makes a figure with handguns, take note (disappointed they didn't do this for Deathstroke or even give him a handgun). He has a nice shiny foil card (special for the two-pack I guess) and the stand. 

Fun Factor: 3/3 He's kinda my favorite Red Hood figure right now. He's bulkier and more stable than the DC Essentials, and closer to the comic book look I'm used to. I've been having tons of fun posing him in dual gun wielding poses all over the place. 


Verdict: 8/10 Worthy A really good figure here by McFarlane. This will help you complete your batfamily and/or outlaws/batman collection. It's so worth it, even if you don't usually like this scale. 



I painted a wash on the coat to make 
it stand out more. Not the best job but it works 
if you don't look too closely! 



Nice foil card! I painted the red on the guns cause they
were kinda boring without






Really cool character design, probably my favourite
at this point.











No comments:

Post a Comment