Sunday, February 24, 2019

Marvel Legends - Spiderman (PS4 Game Version)




I absolutely loved the PS4 exclusive Spiderman game. It did everything I want out of a superhero game since the Arkham game series. Fun, action-packed combat sequences, fun story, hints of the comic book storylines so the fans can go "aha! That's from x when x does so and so!" and lots of good voice acting. I really enjoyed how fun it was just to web swing and wall crawl around the city. Unlike the Arkham games, you can sort of interact with people on the street and explore. The reflections they have in the game are crazy good as well. The game's spider suit is unique in that they designed some of the features to be less like super hero spandex and a bit more like athletic gear.

As anyone who reads this blog knows, I don't collect Marvel Legends...per se!
I have a couple I had planned on using for customizing parts, though at this point those figures are still on the shelf.

THIS figure though was bought because of how much I loved the game and wanted a game representation of the suit. It's a pretty good figure, not perfect, but well done and they did a good job of the white paint apps. They did fine for including a few accessories. The head sculpt isn't preferred for me when viewed straight on, but here's the breakdown!




Sculpt/Paint: 4/5 They did a fairly good job of his paint. The spider lines of his logo are painted all the way up into his diaphragm joint both front and back. The white is clean, as is the blue. The black spider lines are painted on rather than inset or embossed. I like the dynamic look, especially when it gets to the arms and feet. I have two small criticisms on the sculpt: 1. The jawline of the head looks too wide when looked at directly. It doesn't quite look human to me. Maybe I'm the only one.
2. I don't know why they used red pegs for blue regions of the articulation. It looks...off.

Articulation: 4/5 (29 points) The figure has a good amount of articulation. As with many Marvel Legends, really good double jointed knees and elbows, as well as two points for the wrists. They include both waist, bicep and mid-thigh swivels as well. One thing I find odd (and I've noticed many reviews point this out with spiderman figures) is that the ball jointed hips have fairly ordinary range. For a character like Spiderman, it would be nice to create much better splits. Especially for his wall-crawling poses.

Price/Availability:3/5 The tricky thing about this figure isn't the price: he's sold for a fairly standard 25 ish dollars Canadian. The problem is he's a Game Stop exclusive figure, which in Canada means you can only find him at EB Games. That's tough! Get him soon if you want him. I'm sure a good customizer could get away with using other spidermen figures and painting though.

Accessories: 4/5 A Spiderman figure doesn't need too much, but there are a few things I would have expected, and some I would have wished for that came with this one. He comes with two fist hands, two web twipping hands, and two long web extensions. The problem with the web extensions is they have handholds...but no way for him to grab onto them. You can use them in photos, but you have to hide the handles a bit unless you're into that sort of thing! Maybe a jetskiing spiderman!



The thing I think all spidermen should have as well as those things are definitely some wall-crawling hands. That seems pretty standard thing you're gonna do with your action figure.
The thing I WISH they had included but wasn't necessary exactly was an unmasked head of the Peter Parker face. Oh well!

Fun Factor: 4/5 The thing I enjoy about Marvel Legends scale of figures and general size is the joints are usually tight enough with wide enough feet that they balance quite well in a variety of poses. This one does well with that and I enjoyed photographing him. He looks cool with his original suit design. He's not a top 5, but he's pretty sweet all in all.

Final Verdict: 19/25 Good. He's a good figure and I think most figure collectors who played the game should pick this one up. For those that already have quite a few Marvel Legends Spidermen you may or may not want this one, as he does reuse parts from others, so aside from the paint job you won't see too much new here.






The webbing isn't terrible, just harder to hide










Although the lollipop joints for Legends
head can leave weird gaps, they are
really awesome at looking up.

Now he just needs spider wings!

Comin' atcha!

Great butterfly joints!


1 comment:

  1. The Marvel Legends Spider-Man figure is great in any costume (I've got more than one myself). I've never played the game but it's a pretty good Spidey design even if it seems like it's just so the game would have a distinct Spider-Man. None of the Spider figures I own have the web accessories so it was neat to see those. I wonder if the figure they originally came with had holding hands to grab on better.

    ReplyDelete