Friday, April 13, 2018

DC Icons Batman (Rebirth)




The DC Rebirth universe has been a bit of a softer restart. It doesn't erase the events of the previous New 52 series, but simply puts on a fresh coat of paint to some characters backgrounds/looks and adds some new, interesting conflicts and events. The new Batman definitely has an updated look and life. He continues in his role to try to raise Damien Wayne as his son, while also finding himself trying to form a real relationship with Selina Kyle (Catwoman).


His look has changed a bit as well. He's still got the black and grey (my preferred), but the inside of his cape is purple (not my favourite for him, but interesting when you paralell the Joker). Add to that, his gloves are a bit bigger, and his boots have more pronounced ridges on the treads. I think this gives him a more work-out-tough-guy look. The other thing I'm torn about aside the cape is the knee pads. They are the same colour as the suit, but in a strange H shape. I don't quite get it?

The Batman here represents all those elements really well though. The articulation is pretty good, and this Batman has the newer drop down hinge hips. He is a bit bulkier, so his double joints don't work as effectively. One sore point for me about the DC Rebirth figures from the 7 pack is the lack of accessories or even alternate hands. I can stand not having another batarang, but there's not much choice for alternate hands. All in all though, he's a really nice figure and the design is very cleanly painted and sculpted.



Sculpt/Paint: 4/5 Sculpt wise, he's a pretty decent. The knees look odd, and I feel like there is slightly too little space between the nose and upper lip. He has bulkier and better looking legs and knee width than the first DC icons Batman. His chest looks a bit larger and the bat logo is more striking. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the purple, it's actually dark enough on this figure that I like it, whereas in the comics I find it less appealing. This was one of the last DC Icons, and they still didn't put shading on it! Height wise, he's nearly a full half-inch taller than the Icons Last Rites Batman (who is probably the shortest figure in the whole line aside Superboy and Robin).

Articulation: 4/5 (27 points) He sports some pretty good articulation that is common for the line. Double jointed knees, elbows, hinge/swivel ankles and wrists, bicep swivel, diaphragm and ab crunch, and the lovely drop ball jointed hips. They are fairly decent, but several points are limited: the shoulders are limited by the cape and due to the bulkiness of his biceps his double-jointed elbows aren't super effective, getting just slightly over a 90-degree bend. It'll do!

Price/Availability: 4/5 I found him at a local comic shop at the original price. Most places online he can be had for the same, with the exception of Amazon where the figure is 15 CAD more expensive at the time of this writing.

Accessories: 1/5 This is my biggest gripe with the DC Rebirth Justice league figures. They have nothing with them and that's fine for Superman...but Batman? Aquaman? Wonderwoman? That's terrible. This is one of the reasons I won't be collecting the DC Essentials line.

Fun Factor: 4/5 He's a great figure and I'm happy to put him among the many Batmen. He's got great popping colours and aesthetic and pretty good balance. I'm also happy to have another version of Batman (said every Batman fan ever).

Verdict: 17/25 Good. He's a really good figure and I'm generally pleased with him. The lack of accessories and the more limited range of movement bumps him down somewhat.
On a side note, some of the stories in the Rebirth universe are really excellent, such as the Doomsday clock story line, I am Suicide, Supersons and a lot of others.

Closeup! I feel like his chin is a bit more prominent
than it is in pages of the Rebirth comics, but it's no biggie.

At the ready

Flying bat kick! 

The People of Gotham's Elbow!

The soft plastic cape can surprisingly be manipulated

Slide-trip!

Fairly good balance, though
my particular figure has loose
knees that require some patience

The gauntlet spikes remind of of the
Christopher Nolan batsuit. 

High kick! Still good balance. 

The cape points also help with balance



Last Rites Batman: 5"7/8
Rebirth Batman: 6"3/8
Significantly taller. 

Seeing these figures together makes you realize
that DC icons, especially at the end played funny with their
scale. Last Rites Batman and Nightwing should be about the same
height, and not significantly smaller than the Rebirth Batman.
I don't actually care all that much about the scale, but it's hard not to notice!


Battle of the bats! 




2 comments:

  1. Not my favourite Batman design. I didn't realize the inside of the cape was actually supposed to be purple, I just thought it was artists playing with shading. I think it's probably a subtle reference to the purple gloves Batman wore in his first appearance and then never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about the cape. Also not my favorite, but I sort of get that it fits with the tradition of updating his batsuit with each new version or reboot.

      Delete